Here is a partial history of how it all happened:
Chad and I married in 2001. We always knew we wanted a family, we just wanted to wait awhile and enjoy being newlyweds. Looking back, I am thankful for the time we had to be just "us"! After we had established our new house, gotten in a routine, traveled, and became who we wanted to be as a married couple, we got more serious about starting our family.
After a year of nothing, I spoke with my OB/GYN. He put me on Clomid and we cycled like that for 9 long months. After nothing occuring, he sent me on my way to SIRM. I was in denial. We attempted an IUI in February of 2006, without ever making it to the finish line. In August of 2006, we tried our hand at IVF. We were told this was a perfect cycle with two embryos. Two agonizing weeks later, we found out it didn't work. Months of depression followed suit. In January of 2007, we gathered up some courage and tried again. They took 67 eggs from me, causing me to OHSS which in a process that isn't fun at all, makes it even worse. We transferred another two perfect embryos and had three lower grade embryos left to "freeze". Two more long weeks passed and another negative blood test was confirmed.
In March, a very close friend lost her baby girl due to PKD. It was at that point in time that I began to realize that nothing in this life revolves around what we might want personally. God has a plan in store for each of us and it is in His timing that life takes place. I had always thought I had a strong faith, but until this point in time, I dont' think I truly understood.
In May, we started talking about adoption as our option. In June, we called lawyers, spoke with people who had adopted, contacted LCFS and set up an appointment. We paid our down-payment, began paperwork, and the process was official! We bought supplies to baby-proof our house, did more research, and were gearing up for our new addition!
In July, I started thinking about our three low grade embryos and wondering about them and what would happen if we adopted. Would we donate them, pay someone for storing them for however many years? We decided to go ahead and try "One last time." We made our appointment with SIRM, started all the medicines again, began the emotional rollercoaster, and all the while were still planning on adopting.
On our third and final IVF attempt, we transferred the three, grade three embryos at 3:33 p.m on August 3rd. Then we began the two week wait! God does provide. The following Friday, only three days before our scheduled home visit for the adoption process, we received our phone call saying I was pregnant! Andrea, my clinical coordinator was crying with me over the phone. I had to tell someone before Chad got home, so I texted a friend who had gone through the same process - "Its a BFP, BFP, BFP, please pray for me!" (BFP - big fat positive) Chad got home from work and I gave him a t-shirt in a size 2T that read, my daddy's a fireman. He really didn't get it at first, but suddenly the light came on!
We only told our parents that weekend - so we'd have the emotional support. We knew it was early, but we needed them now more than ever.
We told them that we needed them to take a picture for the adoption booklet we were putting together and as Chad went to take their picture, I said, "instead of saying cheese, say..."Jill's pregnant." The pictures say it all!
No comments:
Post a Comment