Monday was a day off school. I was home with the kids and decided to take them to the pediatrician - just for fun! Luke had been fighting a cold and Zach just "wasn't himself" so we went for our appointment. We found out that Luke had an ear infection (again) and Zach was suffering from strep throat. So we got the prescriptions and went on our way.
I stopped off at a local Wally World to buy some new toothbrushes for the kids and a heat pack for my ever aching back. I loaded all 3 into the cart, Brooke in front, the boys in the back. They boys thought the vibrations of the cart on the pavement was hysterical, making me laugh in turn. We literally ran in, got our two items and went to check out.
That is when it happened...
Zach decided he just had to have an item on the shelf at the check-out so he stood up in the cart and leaned way over, until he lost his balance and did a head dive out of the cart onto the hard, white tile floor. The scream was immediate but the bump was not. We, the lady in front of me, the cashier next to me, and myself looked him over. He stopped crying and then Luke grabbed his head and started whining too. I'm not sure if that was some sort of in-utero thing they share or if he just realized that is how Zach got the attention and he wanted some too! I paid my bill and walk cautiously out of the building on my wobbly legs.
I kept thinking to myself, should I turn around and go to the hospital or not???
Having all 3 kids by myself, I opted out of that and drove home. I called Chad on the way and explained everything to him. Being the trained first-responder that he is, he said he'd check him out real good when he got home!
By the time we got home, the lump on the top of Zach's head was growing and his left eye was puffy. Chad checked him out, he gave high fives, showed us where his nose was, called me Money, and basically followed all the directions he was given. We diagnosed him and "Fine." Until...4 a.m. that next morning when I panicked and thought about what really happened and what if we had a brain bleed or something else going on.
So...at 6 a.m. (an hour before normal), Chad went up to get Zach so we could "play" and make sure he was still performing like the night before. Little did we know what some one-on-one time would do for our little man. He chatted our ears off, ran around and hammed it up like a crazy two year old, and showed us that he was going to be just fine.
Many prayers were said and we've continued to watch him and so far, he has been happier since then - we're not sure if the drugs are helping heal the sore throat or if we needed to dump him on his head a long time ago!
No comments:
Post a Comment