Monday, January 10, 2011

Morning Routines

I have learned over the course of time that I am a creature of habit.  Something that disrupts my routine usually makes me a little nutty.  That's how this morning went.

Chad usually leaves the house while I am getting myself ready for the day.  The house is quiet.  I sometimes throw a load of laundry in while I am doing my hair or putting on make-up.  I get dressed, usually pick up some things in the bedroom or around the house, and then head to the kitchen.  While in the kitchen, I grab something to eat, get something ready for dinner that night, or make my lunch for the day.  Sometimes, I even read part of the newspaper, but all in all, this is my quiet time, where I prepare myself for the chaos that will erupt when I head upstairs to wake my three darlings and that will continue throughout the day. 

This morning, I walked into the kitchen and flipped on the light.  Immediately, I heard a loud - MOMMY that sounded like it came from right behind me.  (This is where my quiet was interrupted!) I spun around and looked up the stairs and my sweet Luke is looking back at me.  I shushed him and told him to come downstairs all the while thinking, what the heck is going on?  Why is he outta his bed?  He crept down the stairs, sat on the bar stool, and said, "What're you doin'?"  To which I replied, "Mommy's getting ready for the day."  "Why," he asked?  Again...my quiet time of the day was supposed to be happening here.  So, I went on to explain that it was Monday and he was going to his school and I was going to mine to teach the "big kids" as they say.  I turned to put the meat in the crockpot and when I turned around there were FOUR eyes watching me instead of two.  I almost wet myself. 

This couldn't be happening, my routine was going to be all messed up.  I kissed Brooke on the forehead and she says, "Zachary's still sleeping, I want to be here with you."  I might have melted a little then. 

Somewhere along the line, they both headed back upstairs to get their clothes.  Zach was awake by that point.  I heard Brooke say, "I'm going to get dressed."  Followed by Luke saying, "Me too."  About that time, I heard, "NO LUCAS, I'M GETTING DRESSED HERE, GET OUT OF MY ROOM." slamming door sound.  OH SHEESH.  Is this going on already, really???

Needless to say, I was at school on time, but not the time I'd like to be and I think I'll have to plan a new morning routine!

No comments: