Sunday, January 9, 2011

Rewind...Happy New Year!

Chad took some days off while the rest of the family was home. I don't think he realized all the fun stuff we'd be doing and many times throughout those days, he pleaded to go back to work.  Oops.  We got some much needed reorganizing and cleaning accomplished.  After seeing the progress, I mentioned that maybe we needed to put Brooke's day bed up.  So...on New Year's Eve 2010, at 5 pm, we started assembling her big girl bed.  I put the new sheets/comforter set on it that she got for Christmas and we stood back to admire it.  That is when she proudly announced, "That's my bed, I'm going to sleep in that tonight."  WHAT?
The rest of the conversation went something like this:

M:  No, not tonight honey, after your birthday you can start sleeping in your big girl bed.
B:  No, I do it tonight.
M:  Are you sure you want to sleep here by yourself?
B: Yes!
M:  The boys are not sleeping in here, they are going to sleep in their room in their beds.
B:  Ok!

Again...WHAT?  This was not in my plan.  We were going to make the switch after their birthdays in February or at summer time, when I WAS READY.  Suddenly it dawned on me that my baby girl was making a big decision for herself.
About that time, Luke lugs his sheets/comforter up the stairs and announced that he too was going to sleep in his big boy bed.  There was only one problem with that and it was a big one...we had the beds, but no mattresses and nothing was ready.  After many, many, many tears and some pleading on our part, we coerced him into sleeping in his baby bed one more night.  It was not a good night.  Such excitement for one and disappointment for another.  I'm sure it will happen again, it was just hard to swallow this time around.  At bed time Brooke crawled in her bed, we tucked her in and kissed her good night.  We never heard another peep?!? 

I went to bed that night, the last night of 2010, wondering how my little girl and taken control of something that I didn't think she was ready for.  She made a decision that I wasn't prepared for and ran with it.  The next day Nana and Papa found some mattresses for us and we set the beds up in the boys' room too.  I was really, really, not ready for this transition.

So goodbye to our babies and 2010 ...
...Hello 2011 and the many new things headed our way!

No comments: